SQL-Developer uses the same language for its GUI that you have set for your operation system. But when the GUI has another language than English, it’s hard to match it with help texts and the documentation!
It gets even worse! Some languages, e.g. German, don’t have all the menu entries the English GUI has!
So, if don’t like that you would have to change your operation system language, because you can’t set the GUI language in the preferences of SQL-Developer.
But there is a remedy for that – all you have to do is to add single line of text to a SQL-Developer configuration file.
Here is how:
- Close all open SQL-Developer instances.
- Find the “sqldeveloper.conf” file
- goto the directory where the SQL-Developer program is installed.
- goto the subdirectory “sqldeveloper\bin”
- Mac OS X:
- goto your applications folder (“/Applications”)
- open the SQLDeveloper-App via context menu (“right mouse click”)
- goto the subdirectory “Contents/Resources/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin”
- Open the file “sqldeveloper.conf” with the text editor of your choise.
- Add a new line with the following text to the file:
- Save the file.
The next time you start SQL-Developer, you will see that the GUI language is now english.